Thomas Ryhl is a committed and very knowledgeable attorney. He takes pride in knowing and understanding his clients’ businesses. Some of the world’s largest companies are among his staunchest clients. He has long experience in cases relating to EU-based law, and is a specialist in cases relating to pharmaceuticals, competition law, procurement law, and EU law.
Thomas Ryhl advises on regulatory issues, discount policies, procurement law, and other EU directives, as well as matters relating to VAT and tax, rules on government grants, and administrative law. He has conducted a number of spectacular litigations, and has often led negotiations with public authorities on complex matters. Further, he has as the Danish agent of the European Commission’s Legal Services litigated against the Kingdom of Denmark on behalf of the European Commission before the EU courts.
Chambers and Partners have once again personally rated Thomas Ryhl within competition and EU law.
„Thomas Ryhl of NJORD Law Firm has „a broad business in both competition and EU law,“ according to observers, who believe he is „intelligent and likeable.“ Ryhl’s practice also covers public procurement matters.“
In 2018, as in every year since the first such list was compiled by Legal 500, Thomas Ryhl has also been among the few to be named a „Leading Individual“ within EU and competition law in Denmark. In 2018, Thomas Ryhl was inducted into Legal 500’s „Hall of Fame„.
“NJORD Law Firm expertise encompasses dispute resolution, M&A and joint ventures. Thomas Ryhl heads up the department and has extensive experience in EU, competition and procurement law.”
- Author of five chapters in the 2015 Danish EU Law Digest (EU-Karnov) (13th edition) – on health and pharmaceuticals, on harmonisation, on trans-European networks (telecommunications, transport, and energy), on research and development and space, and on industrial policy; of four chapters in the 2013 Danish EU Law Digest (12th edition) – on harmonisation, trans-European networks, research and development, and on industrial policy; of five chapters in the 2010 Danish EU Law Digest (11th edition); of seven chapters in the 2008 Danish EU Law Digest (10th edition) – on the fundamental principles of the treaties, on intellectual property, on health and pharmaceuticals, on energy, on trans-European networks, on research and development, and on industrial policy; of four chapters in the 9th edition (2005); and of two chapters in the 8th edition (2003).
- Contributes regularly to the Danish weekly law reports with summaries of judgments and decisions of the EU Court of Justice, 2000-2003
- Member of the Danish Competition Law Society
- Member of Danish Association for European Law
- Member of Danish Association for Public Tender Law
- Member of Danish Association for Company Law
- Member of Danish Association for Insurance Law
- Member of Copenhagen Lawyer’s Association
- Member of American Bar Association (Section of Antitrust Law)
2015- NJORD Law Firm, partner
2005-2014 MAQS Law Firm, partner
1995-2005 Plesner Svane Grønborg, associate, senior associate and associate partner
1995-2001 University of Copenhagen, associate professor of EU law
1997-1998 United Nations Development Programme, Deputy Chief, Legal Section
1985-1995 SOS-International A/S, client manager
2015 Admitted to the Supreme Court of Denmark
1998 Admitted to the High Court of Denmark
1998 Admitted to the Danish Bar
1995 University of Copenhagen (LL.M. 1995, LL.B. 1994, BA cultural sociology 1985)
Danish, English, French, German, Italian, Icelandic, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian and Russian.