Thomas Ryhl is a committed and very knowledgeable attorney. He takes pride in knowing and understanding his clients’ businesses. Some of the world’s largest companies are among his staunchest clients. He has long experience in cases relating to EU-based law, and is a specialist in cases relating to pharmaceuticals, competition law, tort law, and EU law.
Thomas Ryhl advises on regulatory issues within capital markets, life science and financial services, as well as other EU directives, and on VAT, tax, and administrative law. He has conducted a number of high-profile litigations, and has often led negotiations with public authorities on complex matters. Further, he has as the Danish agent of the European Commission’s Legal Services litigated against the Kingdom of Denmark on behalf of the European Commission before the EU courts.
Chambers and Partners have once again personally rated Thomas Ryhl within competition and EU law.
“The “extremely sharp” Thomas Ryhl provides clients with competition law analysis and advice, in addition to assisting with public procurement and abuse of dominance cases on a regular basis. One client highlights him for his “in-depth knowledge of EU law,” while another says: “He is pragmatic and he handles negotiations very well.””
In 2018, as in every year since the first such list was compiled by Legal 500, Thomas Ryhl has also been among the few to be named a “Leading Individual” within EU and competition law in Denmark. In 2018, Thomas Ryhl was inducted into Legal 500’s “Hall of Fame“.
“The practice at NJORD Law Firm is a key name for rebate schemes, marketing campaigns, franchise and wholesaler agreements as well as selective distribution issues and also provides regulatory advice concerning EU and domestic competition law. Other areas of expertise encompass vertical agreements as well as market dominance work and issues arising from aggressive competitors. Practice head Thomas Rhyl has experience litigating pharmaceuticals, competition, and public procurement cases.”
- Author of five chapters in the 2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015 Danish EU Law Digest (EU-Karnov) (13th to 16th edition) – on health and pharmaceuticals, on harmonisation, on trans-European networks (telecommunications, transport, and energy), on research and development and space, and on industrial policy; of four chapters in the 2013 Danish EU Law Digest (12th edition) – on harmonisation, trans-European networks, research and development, and on industrial policy; of five chapters in the 2010 Danish EU Law Digest (11th edition); of seven chapters in the 2008 Danish EU Law Digest (10th edition) – on the fundamental principles of the treaties, on intellectual property, on health and pharmaceuticals, on energy, on trans-European networks, on research and development, and on industrial policy; of four chapters in the 9th edition (2005); and of two chapters in the 8th edition (2003).
- Member of the Danish Association for Competition Law
- Member of Danish Association for European Law
- Member of Danish Association for Public Procurement Law
- Member of Danish Association for Company Law
- Member of Danish Association for Insurance Law
- Member of Copenhagen Lawyer’s Association
- Member of American Bar Association (Section of Antitrust Law)
2015- NJORD Law Firm, partner
2005-2014 MAQS Law Firm, partner
1995-2005 Plesner Svane Grønborg, associate, senior associate and associate partner
1995-2001 University of Copenhagen, associate professor of EU law
1997-1998 United Nations Development Programme, Deputy Chief, Legal Section
1985-1995 SOS-International A/S, client manager
2015 Admitted to the Supreme Court of Denmark
1998 Admitted to the High Court of Denmark
1998 Admitted to the Danish Bar
1995 University of Copenhagen (LL.M. 1995, LL.B. 1994, BA cultural sociology 1985)
Danish, English, French, German, Italian, Icelandic, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian and Russian.