Tea is an associate who specializes in data protection and IT law, contract law, and commercial law. Tea has broad experience in data protection law. She has helped both private and public sector clients in establishing compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR). She is also a renowned lecturer who often gives presentations on different legal topics. Tea also has experience in solving legal issues related to new technologies and digital services. Being specialized in commercial law, she has experience in drafting and negotiating different types of contracts for clients in various sectors. She also helps clients with legal issues related to consumer protection. In addition, Tea has experience in solving legal issues related to different regulated sectors, such as gambling and pharmaceuticals.
Tea is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E), issued by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). She is also a guest lecturer at Tallinn University of Technology, where she gives lectures as part of the course „Expert-level training for a data protection officer (DPO)“.
- Estonian Bar Association
- 2021, presentation on Data Protection Day on Vikerraadio broadcast "Huvitaja"
- 2021, webinar at the Enterprise Academy 2021, "Data Protection ABC for Start-ups"
- 2020, training for lawyers at the Estonian Ministry of Justice on the important aspects of IT law and data protection law in legislative drafting
- 2020, lecture on how to establish compliance with data protection requirements in public databases
- 2020, lecture at a public procurement seminar on the data protection issues in public procurement
- 2020, training on marketing law (protection of business secrets, IP law, compliance with advertising requirements, data protection)
- 2019, lecture “How can an enterprise establish compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation?”, organized with the Estonian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Estonian Data Protection Inspectorate
- 2019, data protection training for schools and kindergartens with Tallinn University of Technology
- 2019, data protection training for Lääne-Viru local authorities in Estonia
- 2019, data protection law training at the Ministry of Defence
- 2019, review of past practices related to personal data breaches, a morning radio program of Äripäev
- 2018, “New Directions for Managing Customer Personal Data – Customer Rights and Customer Relationship”, Good Service Management Conference 2018
- 2018, training “Legal Basics of Marketing”, Institute of Marketing
- 2018, “Data Protection Rules in Marketing”, TurundusTreff.ee conference
- 2018, “Data Protection Officer training”, Areng.ee
- 2018, “Data protection specialist in-service training”, Estonian Training and Conference Center
- 2017, “Risks in using data in today’s business”, TK Training Center Information Day “Personal Data Protection Regulation – Why and What for?”
- "Siiri Vello and Tea Kookmaa: lack of cooperation deepens the crisis". err.ee, 09.03.2021.
- "Legal experts: The Digital Markets Act, to be created by the European Commission, needs to be reconsidered". err.ee, 02.03.2021.
- "Lawyer: Does distance learning give the right to continuously monitor students?" FORTE, 14.12.2020.
- "Two recommendations to avoid data protection fines“. Äripäev, 2019.
- "Warning example: What's wrong with this email?“ Äripäev, 2018.
- "Who needs to appoint a data protection specialist?“ Estonian Training and Conference Center's blog, 2018.
- "Lawyer explains: code of conduct for entrepreneurs - what to do if personal data was misused“. Ärileht, 2018.
- "TOP 10 of activities before the entry into force of the Data Protection Regulation: the new Data Protection Regulation knows no borders“. Ärileht, 2016.
- "Building within a year? This is not a "normal" situation in clear mind or the law“. Ärileht, 2016.
- "When does renewable energy charges constitute as prohibited state aid?“ Ärileht, 2016.
- "Legal Remedies Available to Competitors of Recipients of Unlawful State Aid Under Estonian Law“. Juridica International 2015, No. 1, pages 98-109.
2019- Assistant attorney, NJORD Law Firm
2017-2019 Assistant Attorney, SORAINEN
2017- Visiting Lecturer, Tallinn University of Technology
2016-2017 Legal adviser, TRINITI
2016 Intern, TRINITI
2016 Tartu University, Faculty of Law, LL.M
2015-2016 European Law Moot Court, member of the University of Tartu team
2015-2016 Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Faculty of Law, a foreign exchange student in Erasmus+ program
2014-2015 Board member of the Estonian division of ELSA
2015 4th ELSA Vienna Law School on Dispute Resolution
2014 University of Tartu, Faculty of Law, LL.B
2011 Tallinn English College
Estonian, English, German.