The competition rules are the traffic rules of the business sector. When the common rules are observed by everybody, there is room for innovation, growth, and development. But if unfair or unreasonable terms are forced upon your business, or progress is impeded, we can assist you.
We are a team of experienced and reputable lawyers with a thorough knowledge of questions relating to EU law and competition law, both nationally and in an EU context. We have specialised in preventing problems through proactive advice based on a detailed knowledge of the client’s business.
We are creative and flexible because we have the experience to be so, giving us the confidence to venture innovative thinking. We know the position of the authorities and how to engage them in a constructive dialogue. This allows us to prevent most legal problems from getting serious. But if required, we are also ready to go all the way, and we defend our clients against unreasonable attacks by competitors as well as against the authorities’ misinterpretations of the EU rules.
We offer analysis, sparring, and advice in relation to EU law, including:
- Anti-competitive agreements, including distribution agreements and supply agreements
- Terms of delivery, discounts and rebates, and other possible abuse of a dominant position
- Market analysis, market boundaries, and the “safe harbours” available to compete
- Application of the EU block exemption regulations and special Danish rules
- Joint ventures and mergers, as well as de-mergers, sale and acquisition of companies
- All types of cooperation agreements
- VAT, customs duty, and discriminatory charges
- Free trade and restrictions to the free movement of goods, services, etc.
- Parallel imports and exports
- The freedom of establishment and other parts of the free movement within the EU
- Regulatory matters of all kind, based on EU directives and regulations
- Discrimination, proportionality, and the principle of subsidiarity in practice
The practice at NJORD Law Firm is a key name for rebate schemes, marketing campaigns, franchise and wholesaler agreements as well as selective distribution issues and also provides regulatory advice concerning EU and domestic competition law. Other areas of expertise encompass vertical agreements as well as market dominance work and issues arising from aggressive competitors. Practice head Thomas Rhyl has experience litigating pharmaceuticals, competition, and public procurement cases.
The "extremely sharp" Thomas Ryhl provides clients with competition law analysis and advice, in addition to assisting with public procurement and abuse of dominance cases on a regular basis. One client highlights him for his "in-depth knowledge of EU law," while another says: "He is pragmatic and he handles negotiations very well."
NJORD Law Firm expertise encompasses dispute resolution, M&A and joint ventures. Thomas Ryhlheads up the department and has extensive experience in EU, competition and procurement law.
Thomas Ryhl of NJORD Law Firm has “a broad business in both competition and EU law,” according to observers, who believe he is “intelligent and likeable.” Ryhl’s practice also covers public procurement matters.
Partner Thomas Ryhl was inducted as a “leading individual” into Legal 500's “Hall of Fame” in EU and Competition Law