EU and Competition Law
The competition rules are the traffic rules of the business sector. When the common rules are observed by everybody, there is room for innovation, growth, and development. But if unfair or unreasonable terms are forced upon your business, or progress is impeded, we can assist you.
We are a team of experienced and reputable lawyers with a thorough knowledge of questions relating to EU law and competition law, both nationally and in an EU context. We have specialised in preventing problems through proactive advice based on a detailed knowledge of the client’s business.
We are creative and flexible because we have the experience to be so, giving us the confidence to venture innovative thinking. We know the position of the authorities and how to engage them in a constructive dialogue. This allows us to prevent most legal problems from getting serious. But if required, we are also ready to go all the way, and we defend our clients against unreasonable attacks by competitors as well as against the authorities’ misinterpretations of the EU rules.
We offer analysis, sparring, and advice in relation to EU law, including::
- Anti-competitive agreements, including distribution agreements and supply agreements
- Terms of delivery, discounts and rebates, and other possible abuse of a dominant position
- Market analysis, market boundaries, and the “safe harbours” available to compete
- Application of the EU block exemption regulations and special Danish rules
- Joint ventures and mergers, as well as de-mergers, sale and acquisition of companies
- All types of cooperation agreements
- VAT, customs duty, and discriminatory charges
- Free trade and restrictions to the free movement of goods, services, etc.
- Parallel imports and exports
- The freedom of establishment and other parts of the free movement within the EU
- Discrimination, proportionality, and the principle of subsidiarity in practice
Legal 500 rates NJORD Law Firm as a tier 2 firm and inducted partner Thomas Ryhl as a “leading individual” into their “Hall of Fame” in EU and Competition Law:
“NJORD Law Firm regularly assists with the competition law aspects of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures and has a solid reputation in contentious proceedings before Danish and European authorities. Practice head Thomas Ryhl is known for his expertise in competition, procurement and EU law with a special focus on life sciences and IT.”
Chambers and Partners, 2018, ranks partner Thomas Ryhl in band 3.
“Thomas Ryhl of NJORD Law Firm has an extremely broad practice, advising on a wide-range of EU law and regulatory matters, typically those involving pharmaceuticals and life sciences, energy and procurement. He is noted for his activity in state aid matters.”