EU and Competition Law
The competition rules are the traffic rules of the business sector. When the common rules are observed by everybody, there is room for innovation, growth, and development. But if unfair or unreasonable terms are forced upon your business, or progress is impeded, we can assist you.
We are a team of experienced and reputable lawyers with a thorough knowledge of questions relating to EU law and competition law, both nationally and in an EU context. We have specialised in preventing problems through proactive advice based on a detailed knowledge of the client’s business.
We are creative and flexible because we have the experience to be so, giving us the confidence to venture innovative thinking. We know the position of the authorities and how to engage them in a constructive dialogue. This allows us to prevent most legal problems from getting serious. But if required, we are also ready to go all the way, and we defend our clients against unreasonable attacks by competitors as well as against the authorities’ misinterpretations of the EU rules.
We offer analysis, sparring, and advice in relation to EU law, including::
- Anti-competitive agreements, including distribution agreements and supply agreements
- Terms of delivery, discounts and rebates, and other possible abuse of a dominant position
- Market analysis, market boundaries, and the “safe harbours” available to compete
- Application of the EU block exemption regulations and special Danish rules
- Joint ventures and mergers, as well as de-mergers, sale and acquisition of companies
- All types of cooperation agreements
- VAT, customs duty, and discriminatory charges
- Free trade and restrictions to the free movement of goods, services, etc.
- Parallel imports and exports
- The freedom of establishment and other parts of the free movement within the EU
- Discrimination, proportionality, and the principle of subsidiarity in practice
Legal 500 (2017) rates NJORD as a tier 1 firm and lists partner Thomas Ryhl as a “leading individual” in EU and Competition Law:
“‘Among the best in Denmark’, NJORD Law Firm provides ‘a high level of service’ under the leadership of Thomas Ryhl, who often advises on public procurement matters for clients in the life sciences and IT sectors.”
– Legal 500, 2017
The firm is classed as “Other Noted Firm” (i.e. active but not yet ranked) by Chambers and Partners, 2017, and lists Partner Thomas Ryhl as a notable practitioner.
“Thomas Ryhl of NJORD Law Firm is a well-regarded competition, pharmaceutical and procurement law specialist. He has considerable litigation experience, and recently represented Ferring Pharmaceuticals before the ECJ concerning trade mark law and parallel imports of pharmaceuticals.”
– Chambers and partners, 2017