At NJORD Law Firm, we take pride in offering the highest quality of advice. Every day, we advise both private and professional buyers and sellers. We have in-depth knowledge of current law in this field and know how to handle all the practical aspects. Therefore, we can ensure a transparent process, where you go safely and confidently through the purchase of a property.
When purchasing a private property, we recommend legal assistance from an impartial lawyer. The real estate agent is the seller’s man, whereas a lawyer, who represents you, will act in your best interest.
Furthermore, we recommend that you ensure that the real estate agent adds a clause to the purchase agreement, a so-called “reservation for your lawyer’s approval”, before you sign it. This reservation is free and when added, the sale will not be completed before your lawyer has approved the purchase agreement.
Danish legislation on the acquisition of a house or an apartment in Denmark varies from other EU countries. The requirements of buying real estate in Denmark can be unclear. It can be difficult to see the full scope of your possibilities regarding the purchase agreement and how to finance the purchase.
Certain rules apply when foreigners want to buy a house or an apartment in Denmark. You may have to submit an application to the Department of Civil affairs. However, the process varies depending on whether you wish to purchase an all-year residence or a vacation home. Furthermore, it depends on whether you are an EU citizen and if you are currently living in Denmark.
Our lawyers can help and guide you through the entire process of purchasing a property by going over the purchase agreement and advising you regarding:
- The structural survey report, electrical installation condition report, home warranty insurance, and house owner’s insurance
- Easements, local development plan, and pollution (if relevant)
- Building and housing registration as well as home report
- Homeowners’ association matters – such as articles, reports of the general meetings, financial records and budget.
We also offer advice in connection with:
- Coordinating financing and bank guarantee with your financial institution
- Securing the subsequent rectification of the agreement – including completion of deed, registration of the property, completion statement, and release of the purchase price.
When buying real estate in Denmark, there is a long list of matters that you must consider. For example, the ownership position:
- Are you buying the property with someone else?
- Are you married?
- Is the property purchased by parents and rented out to their children, for example?
NJORD Law Firm has extensive knowledge in this field. We assist with the drafting of co-ownership agreements, wills, prenuptial agreements, tenancy agreements and other relevant documents.
When selling your property, it is essential to receive legal advice from an impartial lawyer, because as a seller, you have no statutory cancellation rights. This means that once the purchase agreement is signed, you are bound by it.
Therefore, we strongly recommend that you let a lawyer go through the purchase agreement before you sell the property. This is your way to avoid unpleasant surprises in the future and to fulfill your duty to disclose material facts. It is possible to make the real estate agent add a “reservation for your lawyer’s approval” clause on behalf of the seller in the purchase agreement.
We can assist you throughout the entire sales process and secure the best possible result by:
- Going over the listing agreement with the real estate agent
- Drafting the purchase agreement, if the real estate agent does not draft it
- Advising on the documents to be annexed to the purchase agreement
- Advising on registered easements, local development plan, and pollution (if relevant)
- Going over the structural survey report, electrical installation condition report, home warranty insurance offers as well as providing advice on disputes concerning the seller’s liability and the buyer’s insurance if any defects to the property should be discovered.